MAKING THE CASE FOR MONTESSORI
*Montessori’s pedagogy may hold strong cues to address growing job dissatisfaction in organizations and the challenges posed by the fast-changing environment.
Biswas-Diener, R. (2011). “ Manipulating Happiness: Maria Montessori.”InternationalJournal of Wellbeing, 1(2), pp. 214 – 225.
*A look into Montessori’s life with a special emphasis on her teaching philosophy and methods, literature review as it relates to choice-related topics, discussion on “freedom within limits”
Harvard Business Review: Montessori Builds Innovators
*The world is a really interesting place, and one that should be explored. Can there be any better foundation for an innovator in training?
*The approach is over 100 years old but the ideas are timeless. The world is finally catching up with Maria Montessori’s insights.
Boston Globe: Succeeding At Their Own Pace
*Alex Beam writes about famous Montessori alumni, Steven Levy’s new book about Google, and brain research in this compelling argument for Montessori education. As he says, “If Montessori was a stock, you would buy it!”
Harvard Business Review: How Do Innovators Think
*The most innovative entrepreneurs were very lucky to have been raised in an atmosphere where inquisitiveness was encouraged… A number of the innovative entrepreneurs also went to Montessori schools, where they learned to follow their curiosity.
Thought Leaders Who Attended Montessori
- Joshua Bell, Grammy award-winning violinist, and subject of a Pulitzer Prize-winning media story
- Jeff Bezos, founder & CEO of Amazon.com
- T. Berry Brazelton, noted pediatrician child psychiatrist, author, and Harvard medical school professor emeritus
- Sergey Brin & Larry Page, founders of Google
- Julia Child, Celebrity chef, and author
- George Clooney, Academy award-winning actor, director, producer, humanitarian, United Nations messenger of peace
- Sean “P Diddy” Combs- Grammy award-winning musician, rap recording artist and CEO of bad boy records
- Anne Frank, Author, and diarist from World War II
- Katherine Graham, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and Former owner & editor of the Washington Post
- Hellen Keller- the Political activist, author, lecturer, awarded the presidential medal of freedom, one of Gallup’s most widely admired people of the 20th century
- Yo-Yo Ma- United Nations Peace Ambassador, winner of 15 Grammy Awards, Presidential Medal of Freedom & National Medal of the Arts
- Will Wright– Video game pioneer, creator of the Sims
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, former first lady and book editor
- Devi Sridhar, youngest-ever American Rhodes scholar
- Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia
- More Montessori students: Helen Hunt, Taylor Swift, Beyonce Knowles, Prince William and Prince Harry of Wales
- Montessori parents: Bill and Hillary Clinton; Willie Nelson; Steve Tyler, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford of Aerosmith; Yo-Yo Ma
- Montessori advocates: Erik Erikson, Sigmund Freud, Buckminster Fuller, Mahatma Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Fred Rogers, Bertrand Russell, Leo Tolstoy and Alice Waters, Peter Drucker
- Alexander Graham Bell founded two of the first Montessori schools in the U.S. and Canada.
- Thomas Edison founded a Montessori school in the U.S.
- Jean Piaget, noted psychologist, was head of the Swiss Montessori Society.
- Woodrow Wilson created a Montessori classroom in the basement of the White House for his daughter.
Did you know?